[ review ] Mark IX Tricorder van eFX

Algemene vragen en opmerkingen over Star Trek die niet in de andere forums passen.

Moderator: HorckDude

Plaats reactie
_Venture_
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

[ review ] Mark IX Tricorder van eFX

Bericht door _Venture_ »

Vandaag mijn eFX tricorder mogen ontvangen. Dure investering, maar ik vind 't het waard! Voor een ENG forum wat foto's en een reviewtekstje geschreven, hierbij mijn post:

Today I received my eFX tricorder! As promised, I hereby post a review of the prop:

First: everyone said it was heavy, indeed it is. To be precise: 499 grams (half a KG!)

When it arrived yesterday with FedEX I was instantly impressed with the amount of detail what was put into this prop. The shipping box for example, was specially made by eFX for this tricorder.

Afbeelding

Upon opening the box I was immediately greeted be a large black piece of thick paper, with a silkscreen print on it:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Upon removal of the paper I found the manual, which I removed from its Styrofoam cutout. And there I noticed that even the Styrofoam was specially made for this tricorder:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Attempting to lift the lid of the packaging I noticed it would not come off. As I took out the entire inner shell I found out why this was: the Styrofoam shell was ‘locked’ with little cardboard pieces:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Once off, the firmly packaged tricorder and accessory’s showed themselves. It reminded me of a typical hard drive packaging.

Left in the package was the stand, in the middle I found the tricorder itself (in another package) and on the right the plaque stand and the holster, which was included with my order for free. I noticed that the holster looked very bulky and big, but since I’ve never ordered and / or held a ‘real’ tricorder, I had no idea how big it was.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Taking out the little gem box I already noticed what everyone said: the thing is supriselingly heavy. Opening the box I took out the tricorder. Though it was stated before, I never realized the thing was actually built from metal. It indeed was!

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Taking out the tricorder I wanted to give it a first run, and I opened the tricorder ‘door’. And... Nothing happened. Well, that was a little bummer! The thing was beautifully packaged, lots of care in packaging, but they did not bother to include any battery’s (AAA)

Opening the tricorder I found that it craved three AAA batteries.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

So I gave it the nourishment it required and it went off! I instantly noticed that the sound was quite loud. A small oversight on eFX’s part: the plastic (:() backdoor of the tricorder resonated with the sound at certain moments.

The paint job was done beautifully.

Afbeelding

Before taking a closer look at the tricorder I looked at the included documentation. A small manual, the signed plaque, and the COA all looked very ‘expensive’:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Having seen that; I took a closer look at the things I bought. First the plaque:

The holder of the plaque is also made from metal. It slides in easily, but also falls out easily. I took a piece of plastic tape to stick it to the holder.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Then I took out the stand. The top part is entirely made from plastic. The base plate is brushed metal and is heavy. The bottom has rubber feet and an eFX logo:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Then the tricorder. I have built a custom tricorder once, and I had trouble with the current carrying hinges that provide power to the led’s in the tricorder door. It was buggy. In the eFX version this works like a charm. Also I noticed that the decals have a matt finish. Looks wonderfully. The top decal even had nice gold colors added.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

As was said; the tricorder runs for two minutes, after that the tricorder turns off. Funny to hear was that the tricorder, when closed in idle state, still sounds the ratchet closing sound. The reed switch system can even be felt; there is a slight magnetic pull when the door is closed. It does not bother me that the closing sound is not perfectly synched.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Some close-up shots: the gold colored plating on the decals I mentioned:

Afbeelding

The hinges:

Afbeelding

The EMRG led was also built to last:

Afbeelding

One disappointment was the back door. The only part fully made of plastic. It’s held in place with four screws. The corners of the plastic door look, well, warped. See pictures. I can imagine it is very sensitive to wear and tear.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Opening the door I did notice the door itself was ‘reinforced’:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

I will also post some interior pictures; the battery compartment and the speaker grille:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

One pro: the screws fit into small busses; this ensures a secure fastening and prevents the wear and tear.

Afbeelding

Also I tried to open the tricorder up to see how they fitted everything in the device. I removed the three screws but the back part would not come off easily. I decided to leave things as they where, I didn’t want to mess up the tricorder prop on day 1.

One bummer was the buttom decal; it is not very firmly attached. I tried again and again to push it firmly, but it still tries to come off...

Overall a beautiful piece worth its money!
Guess who?
Admiral
Admiral
Contacteer:

Re: [ review ] Mark IX Tricorder van eFX

Bericht door Guess who? »

En werkt ie ook?
CmdrCrichton
Captain
Captain

Bericht door CmdrCrichton »

Was precies wat ik me ook afvroeg.
The Silencer
Admiral
Admiral
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Silencer »

Wat een verpakkingsmateriaal voor zo een klein dingetje. :greg: :nono:
_Venture_
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Bericht door _Venture_ »

en uiteraard werkt hij ook, dat is ook te zien op de foto's toch? :P maar nee hij scant niet echt :P
Guess who?
Admiral
Admiral
Contacteer:

Bericht door Guess who? »

aha, dan kun je dus beter de Tricorder app nemen op een google Android telefoon :P
Blind Guardian
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind Guardian »

Ik kan er niks aan doen maar foto's maken van kartonnen dozen en piepschuim vind ik een klein beetje overdreven, mag ik vragen hoe duur het goedje heeft gekost ;)
sonpas
Commodore
Commodore
Contacteer:

Bericht door sonpas »

nu ik al die foto's heb bekeken.......heb ik de indruk dat ik het zelf sneller had kunnen uitpakken in real-time...... :lachhuil:
mr_Vulcan
Contacteer:

Bericht door mr_Vulcan »

Wauw, als mede-propverzamelaar moet ik zeggen dat ik je enthousiasme goed begrijp.
Wat een gaaf ding!

Idd jammer van de plastic cover, maar die zie je gelukkig niet als 'ie in de houder staat. :)
Bovendien incl. Brent Spiner handtekening! :o

Er waren er hier toch duizend van? Volgens mij waren de kosten rond de 200 euro excl. verzendkosten vanuit de US.
Inderdaad het geld waard.
CmdrCrichton
Captain
Captain

Bericht door CmdrCrichton »

Guess who? schreef:aha, dan kun je dus beter de Tricorder app nemen op een google Android telefoon :P

Die kosten geld. ;-(
Blind Guardian
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind Guardian »

CmdrCrichton schreef:
Guess who? schreef:aha, dan kun je dus beter de Tricorder app nemen op een google Android telefoon :P

Die kosten geld. ;-(
Zal me niks verbazen dat deze prop even duur is als een droid of duurder :lachhuil:
Miriam
Admiral
Admiral

Bericht door Miriam »

De r2's liggen voor het oprapen tegenwoordig, bij de Hema
SuperVlaai
Commodore
Commodore
Contacteer:

Bericht door SuperVlaai »

Blind Guardian schreef:
CmdrCrichton schreef:

Die kosten geld. ;-(
Zal me niks verbazen dat deze prop even duur is als een droid of duurder :lachhuil:
Hoeveel kost dat? Zou toch graag willen weten.
SuperVlaai
Commodore
Commodore
Contacteer:

Bericht door SuperVlaai »

SuperVlaai schreef:
Blind Guardian schreef:
CmdrCrichton schreef:

Die kosten geld. ;-(
Hoeveel kost dat? Zou toch graag willen weten.

Oeps ik las niet verder. stond iets van 200 euro. Kan je me de website geven vanwaar dat vandaan komt.
mr_Vulcan
Contacteer:

Bericht door mr_Vulcan »

Master Vanhu Botie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Bericht door Master Vanhu Botie »

OMG $249.00 :O
mr_Vulcan
Contacteer:

Bericht door mr_Vulcan »

€185,-

Dat is meestal normaal voor een FX prop hoor...
Master Vanhu Botie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Bericht door Master Vanhu Botie »

Ongetwijfeld, maar ik vind het wel veel geld. Gelukkig voor de betrokken fabrikanten zijn er vele fans die er anders over denken :Y)
Dark*staR
Administrator
Administrator
Contacteer:

Bericht door Dark*staR »

Mooi ding :*D
Plaats reactie