Guess who?
Admiral
Admiral
Contacteer:

R.I.P. R.E.M.

Bericht door Guess who? »

R.E.M. stopt ermee
Laatste update: 21 september 2011 20:15 info
AMSTERDAM – De Amerikaanse band R.E.M. houdt het voor gezien. Na een carrière van ruim dertig jaar gaan Michael Stipe, Mike Mills en Peter Buck ieder hun eigen weg.

“Als R.E.M., en als levenslange vrienden en samenzweerders, hebben we besloten om er een punt achter te zetten”, is er te lezen in een statement op de website van R.E.M.

“We stappen eruit met een groots gevoel van dankbaarheid en van verbazing over wat we allemaal bereikt hebben”, vervolgt de band. “Aan eenieder die ooit geraakt is door onze muziek, onze welgemeende dank voor het luisteren.”

R.E.M. werd in 1980 opgericht door Stipe, Mills, Buck en drummer Bill Berry, die al in 1997 stopte. In totaal bracht R.E.M. vijftien albums uit, waarvan er in totaal zo’n zeventig miljoen exemplaren zijn verkocht. De laatste is het dit jaar verschenen Collapse Into Now.

Succesvol
Al sinds het debuutalbum Murmur uit 1983 was R.E.M. een band die positieve kritieken zaaide met zijn platen. Toen de band in 1988 zijn eerste album uitbracht voor Warner Bros. Music, het uiterst succesvolle Green, wist R.E.M. ook het grote publiek te bereiken met singles als Stand en Orange Crush.

Pas met de albums Out Of Time (1991) en Automatic For The People (1992) werden de leden van R.E.M. heuse supersterren. Singles als Losing My Religion, Shiny Happy People, Everybody Hurts, Man On The Moon en Nightswimming zijn de meest bekende nummers van R.E.M. en groeiden uit tot popklassiekers.
R.E.M. CALL IT A DAY
"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." R.E.M.

In their own words: The guys share their thoughts on why now.

MIKE
"During our last tour, and while making Collapse Into Now and putting together this greatest hits retrospective, we started asking ourselves, 'what next'? Working through our music and memories from over three decades was a hell of a journey. We realized that these songs seemed to draw a natural line under the last 31 years of our working together.

"We have always been a band in the truest sense of the word. Brothers who truly love, and respect, each other. We feel kind of like pioneers in this--there's no disharmony here, no falling-outs, no lawyers squaring-off. We've made this decision together, amicably and with each other's best interests at heart. The time just feels right."

MICHAEL
"A wise man once said--'the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave.' We built something extraordinary together. We did this thing. And now we're going to walk away from it.

"I hope our fans realize this wasn't an easy decision; but all things must end, and we wanted to do it right, to do it our way.

"We have to thank all the people who helped us be R.E.M. for these 31 years; our deepest gratitude to those who allowed us to do this. It's been amazing."

PETER
"One of the things that was always so great about being in R.E.M. was the fact that the records and the songs we wrote meant as much to our fans as they did to us. It was, and still is, important to us to do right by you. Being a part of your lives has been an unbelievable gift. Thank you.

"Mike, Michael, Bill, Bertis, and I walk away as great friends. I know I will be seeing them in the future, just as I know I will be seeing everyone who has followed us and supported us through the years. Even if it's only in the vinyl aisle of your local record store, or standing at the back of the club: watching a group of 19 year olds trying to change the world."
Blind Guardian
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Contacteer:

Re: R.I.P. R.E.M.

Bericht door Blind Guardian »

sterkte met de verwerking trutgras ;)
Vis

Bericht door Vis »

Ach, ze laten genoeg goede muziek achter. Ik wens ze veel plezier met hun miljoenen :)
The Silencer
Admiral
Admiral
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Silencer »

Wie?
Miriam
Admiral
Admiral

Bericht door Miriam »

Arme Maaike :aai:

Maar het is inderdaad wel jammer want het was een goede band.
Trutgras
Captain
Captain

Bericht door Trutgras »

......and I feel fine.

Ik heb er eens over nagedacht, en ik denk dat dit een goed moment is voor Michael Stipe om terug te gaan naar zijn eerste carriere:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvG6LeGW ... page#t=83s
Plaats reactie